Healthy Athletes® is the world's largest health program focused on the needs of people with intellectual disabilities.
The German program was founded in 2004.
Special Olympics' goal is to improve the long-term health care of people with intellectual disabilities:
- Targeting group-specific consultations and examinations
- Increasing health competencies of athletes
- Educating and raising awareness of health care professionals
- Initiating political processes to improve health care
Healthy Athletes® disciplines
Since 2004, the German Healthy Athletes® program has provided more than 57,200 health screenings.
- 77% of participants have had nail and skin alterations on their feet
- 48% of the participants needed and received glasses free of charge
- 45% of the participants needed physio-therapeutic treatment
- 34% of the participants needed dental treatment
- 19% of the participants have had a hearing loss
Healthy Athletes® at the National Games Berlin 2022
When: 19-24 June 2022, daily from 9.00am to 5.00pm.
On 24 June from 9.00am to 2.00pm
Official opening: 20 June 2022, 10.00am
Where: Olympiapark, Berlin
Participation Requirement: Each person participating in the health program must sign a consent form. The consent form is also available in plain language:
Note: If the athlete registers for the health program during athlete registration, the document remains at the facility. Only in case of missing pre-registration the document has to be shown at the venue.
If you have any questions, please contact us via email@example.com.
Information on Corona regulations in the Healthy Athletes® area:
To ensure the health of all participants, the following hygiene measures apply (as of April 2022):
- All visitors (athletes, coaches, other accompanying persons) must comply with the "2G" regulation.
- All visitors (athletes, coaches, other accompanying persons) must wear an FFP2 mask during their entire stay. This mask has to be brought by the visitor himself/herself.
- In case of existing cold symptoms a visit is not allowed.
Please note: Some disciplines are only offered as part of the infection protection program. Further information will follow soon.
If you have any questions or are interested in advance, please contact us directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional information on the Healthy Athletes® Program are also available on the website of Special Olympics International: