Know your facts:
- Unified Sports? Yes
- Estimated number of athletes participating: 512 athletes + 49 Unified partners
Swimming is a water sport. There are competitions in four different swimming styles: freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly.
Special Olympics feature:
Our swimming rules are based on those of the Fédération Internationale de Natation"(FINA), but slightly adapted. For example, swimmers are allowed to wear swimwear not approved by FINA for medical and religious reasons.
We have 20 disciplines at National Games:
- Freestyle: 25m, 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m
- Backstroke: 25m, 50m, 100m, 200m
- Breaststroke: 25m, 50m, 100m, 200m
- Butterfly: 25m, 50m
- Medley swimming: 100m, 200m
- Relay: 4x50m medley relay, 4x50m freestyle, 4x50m Unified freestyle relay